RECIPES: VEGAN MAINS
BUTTERNUT SQUASH, WHITE BEAN & SAGE PASTA
For the PASTA:
1 pound gluten-free pasta
15 ounces white beans, drained and rinsed
For the SAUCE:
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large sage leaves, divided
4 cups butternut squash, cubed (about 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & seeded)
1 large shallot, diced
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
1 cup water
Sea salt, to taste
Pinch ground black pepper
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. When hot, add three of the sage leaves. Cook for 3 minutes before removing the sage leaves and discarding.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the shallot. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add in the butternut squash and cloves, stirring to coat in the oil and shallot mixture.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the butternut squash is softened. Pour in the stock and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the butternut squash from the liquid and add to a food processor or high-speed blender. Reserve ¼ cup of the liquid.
- Blend the squash in the food processor, slowly adding the reserved cooking liquid until fully combined and smooth. Once cooled, store in a jar or airtight container until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- In a large pot, bring the butternut squash sauce to a low simmer over medium-low heat. Add in the white beans and the cooked and drained pasta. Stir to coat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove pasta from the heat and garnish with a chiffonade of sage (cut into small ribbons).
Also in Volume 34
The holidays are a time to spend with friends and family, a time to relax and be grateful. However, for many people it can be a time filled with stress if they are responsible for hosting a holiday dinner.
RECIPES: VEGAN SALADS
Along with their colorful and flavorful punch to a holiday salad, citrus fruits also offer up lots of Vitamin C which is important for fending off seasonal colds.
RECIPES: VEGAN OTHERS
A plant-based take on the holiday classic appetizer, stuffed mushrooms.